Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:27:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
We farm 3000 acres with a rotation of neonic treated crops.  Our farm has talked about our alternative actions if this seed treatment is banned.  Lots of talk here in Canada about this...
What we probably would do is tank mix our pesticide with our crop herbicide.  We now own our own machine, as many farmers do now so spraying is a more logical option than before.  The only issue I have is nearly 50% of the landscape will be indiscriminately sprayed for spring time bugs because we are use to that kind of control with this seed treatment.  
Just a reality of modern day farming.  We beekeeper better make sure this seed treatment is actually harming our hives before we opt for the alternative!  

I can tell you, from my experience, when we do spray for bugs, nothing lives in that field for weeks afterwards until the native population of bugs walks or flies back in.  On some of those big fields, the bugs dont move back in.  In our nernic treated fields, there is life under the soil, on top of the soil and in the crop canopy.  

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2