From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 22:38:34 -0400
> I sometimes day dream about an air conditioned hat/veil.  Just can't
> figure out  how to avoid having to carry around the AC unit and how
> to  power it.

There's no reason to sweat, and no need for long extension cords.  I travel
a lot, and here's what I take to hot places:

Google "Evaporative Cooling Bandana".  They absorb water, and the water
evaporates against your skin, keeping you cool.
These things are dirt cheap, and they last well for several hours of hobby
beekeeping at a stretch.  I bought a handful of them at the local dollar
store.   Tie one around your head, too.   It takes perhaps 15 mins of
soaking in water for these to become "ready to wear".

If you want to stay very cool all day, every day, buy a Columbia
"Omni-Freeze Zero" shirt, but you have to buy one that fits snugly to get it
to work.  Similar principle to the above, but the shirt absorbs your sweat,
and uses that moisture to drive an evaporative cooling scheme.  Only $60.
These should be standard-issue for commercial operations, as they are
amazing stamina enhancers.

If you want to stay dry when it rains, but can't stand a hot, humid rain
jacket, get a jacket made with Polartec "NeoShell" fabric. Waterproof and
breathable.   Woven out of 100% magic.  Over $200 for a Marmot jacket, which
seems like theft, until you find yourself completely dry in a monsoon
downpour, and not overheating in the sauna of the usual "waterproof" jacket.