Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2016 16:07:16 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Interesting video.
I'd thought about modifications to a top bar hive, but had thought of them 'differently'.
The hive pictured has a complex structural upper element, and while I can see that withfully developed comb the structure might not need to be that strong on its own* it iscertainly more complex than the top element of a typical Langstroth hive. The developedframe though is very pretty.
The modification I had been contemplating would be a trapezoidal frame for a top bar hiverather than a more complex upper element. The side and bottom members of a Langstrothframe help to delineate space, but I believe do not need to be particularly strong. I suggestthat a relatively weak, relatively easy to build lower arms on a top bar hive would be boonto top bar hives.#
Has anyone made the experiment?

* Digression 1   After watching Wyatt Mangum's video at the SABA seminar last year I realized just how sturdy   comb really is. A reasonably strong upper element combined with good comb might be durable.
# Digression II   I'm supposing that if you took three flat sections, perhaps with simple miters and staples, or   perhaps a tension grove and string, you could attach lower arms to a top bar fairly easily/cheaply.   You might not be able to turn the frame they way you can holding the side rails of a Langstroth   frame, but then again you might.

Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Cathedral Hive

> http://www.backyardhive.com/the_cathedral_hive_the_next_evolution_in_top_bar_hive_design/

Modern top-bar hives were developed as an alternative to the Langstroth design with all it's complex woodenware and precision machining.  

The Cathedral Hive is very beautiful.  As a practical hive, however, it seems to have all the disadvantages of a top-bar with all the costs and intricacies of a Langstroth.  

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2