From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 21:02:48 -0600
> For sure honey sold in stores for the most part (other than maybe health
> food stores) if over processed to provide shelf life but certainly "pure
> honey" as defined under current U.S. laws.

Honey has been pressure filtered and pasteurized by large packers for as
long
as I have been in beekeeping. Always has been a niche health food store
market for minimum processed honey which I sold to for decades.

If one wants to label saying their raw honey has not got the pollen filtered
out they will most likely *if the trend continues have to declare * their
honey *could possibly* contain GMO pollen.

I sell at the largest market in the six state area and have been asked twice
if the honey could contain GMO pollen My answer was GMO pollen is widespread
in the U.S. and could be in the honey as I have no way of knowing.

The large packers could put on their label "product contains no GMO pollen"

At the health food store I shop at GMO is a dirty word and DVD's of The GMO
Trilogy are sold by the checkout. its only a matter of time until the anti
GMO crowd figures out GMO pollen could be in raw honey.

Just saying.

Milk producers selling raw milk have went underground because of the large
Milk producers pushing pasteurized milk.

There was a push by packers awhile back to make it legal to only sell
pasteurized honey in stores (which would push sales of raw honey
underground)

Packers are powerful with political connections and local beekeepers are
not.
Enjoy the niche market.

bob