From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:26:13 EST
In a message dated 1/10/01 7:29:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<      I'm thinking of getting some carniolans this spring and was =
 woundering what other beekeepers think of them? I now have 6 hives of =
 italians and have done well with them. >>

   You don't say where you are. Others have given good pointers. I would like
to add one. If you are in the deep south... I have found them to be poor at
coping with long, hot, dry weather. Remember they were originally a mountain
bee, and I think they are better adapted to areas with less extreme summers.

    Some also depends on your intent and the conditions with which you will
use them. Italians will keep larger populations thru the winter (and of
course, eat more). This is not a problem it you want to start making packages
in March, or if your main flow begins very early. Carnolians are still
"waking up," at this point.

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com