From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2012 11:46:56 +0000
Even the number of Apis species changes number pretty regularly.

> In my ' Catalogue of the Apidae' I enumerated fifteen species
> of the genus Apis: one was overlooked at that time, and four I
> have described since its publication, thus increasing the number
> to twenty species.

On the species and Varieties of the Honey-Bees belonging to the genus Apis
Frederick Smith. The Annals and Magazine of Natural History, 1865

> Maa’s classification of honeybees (1953) was based mainly on the morphological
> analysis of single bees. He divided the genus Apis into three genera with two
> subgenera and 24 species.

> Our third biological example uses mitochondrial
> sequences and concerns relationships between six species
> of Apis (honeybee) that are thought to have diverged
> over the past 40-50 Myr.

Recovering Evolutionary Trees under a More Realistic Model of Sequence Evolution.
Peter J. Lockhart, Mol. Biol. Evol. 11(4):605-6 12. 1994.

> We review the literature for studies that investigated
> paternity within honey bee colonies, and we report the
> average paternity numbers and effective paternity frequencies
> of eight species of Apis.

A scientific note on the revised estimates of effective paternity frequency in Apis
D. R. Tarpy. Insect. Soc. 51 (2004) 203–204

> we present the analyses of the currently recognised species of Apis:
> A. andreniformis, A. cerana, A. dorsata, A. florea, A. koschevnikovi,
> A. laboriosa, A. mellifera, A. nigrocincta

Sarah E. Radloff, H.R. Hepburn 2011