Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2007 10:56:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Allen asked;

The source of my Russian breeder queens?

---USDA annual release each year since 2000. Currently they are available from Charlie Harper. Three hundred dollars is a small price to pay for quality when you are raising your own queens. The Russian bee program is one of continuous improvement. Breeder queens are selected each year from the very best in mite resistance and honey production. We are very fortunate to have this service provided by Tom Rinder and crew at the ARS at Baton Rouge. You may wish to Google Russian bees for more information on the program.

What type of foundation do I use?

--In the brood  nest I use Pierco deep foundation coated with wax with good results. The wax is evenly coated, clean and smells like fresh wax. I use 10 frames per box because I believe spacing to 9 frames is contrary to natural spacing and in addition to reducing brood space it could be a factor affecting winter survival. Brood frames, if widely spaced, can not be drawn to bee space as can frames for honey storage. 

I have not tried small cell and am not aware of any research proving it to be better in controlling mites. Dr. Delaplane is beginning an evaluation of small cell. I'll wait for the results of his study. In honey supers except for cut comb I use wired wax and 8 or 9 frames per box. 

Carl Webb

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2