From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:26:01 -0500
Stored fermented pollen is less preferred by the bees, and likely less nutritious, and in some cases may cause dysbiosis, but we should be clear that it is not necessarily unfit as food.

Suspecting this and dry sub was a huge issue for my losses this winter,  wondering out loud how we can better evaluate the stores of pollen as individual beekeepers.....and what we might do to manage it.

Such as don't feed Fescue to pregnant mares.....  it might help the husbandry if we could evaluate our food supplies.

One of my landowners is a cattle feedlot owner.  Its astounding what they buy and feed,  each load is given a protein and roughage value as its brought in,  and then they mix types accordingly to give the right ratios. From brewers waste to fresh feed potato peels, to peanut shells.  The key  is they can balance the feed for best use.

Charles