From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 23:52:53 PST
Dear Bee Liners,

Essential Oils and Varroa

There is in Devon UK a group of mainly beekeeping scientists, engineers and
teachers. Devon Apicultural Research Group (DARG).  Their aim is to apply
their professional training to their hobby and have established a well
respected reputation nationwide.  Trials for the control of Varroa with
essential oils are being carried out.  I will be attending a seminar in two
weeks time when an interim report will be made.  If anything worthwhile turns
up I shall make a report to the Bee list.

Bitten Varroa

There is a report and photograph in our Devon Association magazine
"Beekeeping" March 1996 showing an allegedly bee-chewed V.mite.  These
photographs were originally in an illustrated article by members of the
Veterinary Faculty of the University of Cordoba, Spain, and printed in "Vida
Apicola" for Nov/Dec 1995.  It appears that most frequently the two front
legs are bitten off - perhaps because they protrude beyond the shell - and
the suckers at the ends of other legs are amputated so that the mite is
prevented from clinging to the body of the bee

I wonder if there are any Bee-line Spanish beekeepers who can confirm and
expand this information?

Glyn Davies,
Devon BKA, UK