From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:09:15 -0500
Hello Dee,

Dee has  asked me to explain my concerns. The first concern is any threat of
bees with capensis pseudo queen behavior getting into the U.S. bee
population. If your bees are caucs Dee your bees would be at risk also
wouldn't they? From scutellata to caucs capensis like pseudo queens take no
prisoners

About 20 years ago I recreated Mackensens research. I got the same results
as CD and CP bees did in your testing.

In your testing the LUS  bees tested right with capensis.

Cape bees after 13 days of queen removal average 28% of the workers with
developed ovaries.

Lus after 13 days of queen removal average 27% of the workers with developed
ovaries.

Conclusion is the Lus and capensis are almost the same in the above regard.

Further down pg. 5 (report printed out)we see a documented case of
absconding.
"thus causing the LUS laying workers to abandon the hive"

of  the nine queens produced from laying workers brood , eight  did not
return to the hive after a mating flight
, OR WERE CRITICALLY INJURED DURING INSTRUMENTAL INSEMINATION.

What kind of experiment was going on here and why wasn't the instrumental
insemination process  outlined in the objectives part of the abstract?

Thanks for taking the time to explain your view points but feel we are not
on the same page yet.
Sincerely,
Bob

Ps. I still feel like I am putting a puzzle together and a couple of the key
pieces are missing.