From:
Sharon Collman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 22:45:13 PDT
Honeydew is produced by aphids, and other sucking insects such as
whitefly, leafhopper, scales and psylla.  They can infest any tree
or shrub, or plant.  It is merely the excess sugars that the insect
has extracted other nutrients that it needs from and expelled the
rest.  The black color may be due to contamination by sooty mold, since
honeydew itself is clear (unless it changes in the bee).  Sooty mold
is a fungus that uses the sugars for it's own development.  I don't
think it is in any way toxic, but then I don't know if the question
ever came up before.  How does the honey taste?  You can call it
Dark Aphid Honey  Although I suppose with label requirements you
would need to confirm that aphids were indeed the source.

Easier would be to call it Homoptera Honey.  That covers all the little
suckers.  Or Honey Homopterous.  Most people wouldn't know what a
homoptera is.  Those that do might enjoy the experience.  And it
certainly could be featured next year if we repeat the Insects as Food
section of the People and Insects seminar we just completed.  For these
special markets a few aphids might make it even more appealing - like
the worm in tequila.  You better check with FDA though.

I am partly talking tongue in cheek and partly serious.
After all we just ate cricket bridge mix, mealworms in Pesolo,
and maggot muffins.  Quite good though weird I am sure, if you
didn't get the whole lecture on insects as a protein source first.
And I know that I've seen canned honeybee larvae.

A but i have digressed.  Happy honey harvest.

SHARON J. COLLMAN
W.S.U. COOPERATIVE EXTENSION
URBAN IPM RESOURCE CENTER
@ CENTER FOR URBAN HORTICULTURE