From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:34:16 -0900
Hi Grant,

>  A couple of questions arose as I looked into this.  First, I asked locally at the industrial contractor's supplier about 60 psi
high density polystyrene, and all I can get is 25 psi.  They offered to order 60 psi, but they would be buying a whole stack.  I
only need a few sheets.

If you contact Western Insulfoam they can direct you to a distributor that would be able to sell individual sheets or boards I would
think, I could be wrong but here they directed me to Polar Supply. Here I went for a whole stack since it was less expensive per
board. High density expanded polystyrene 60 Psi. is more costly than lower densities of extruded or expanded. 60 Psi. Expanded
Polystyrene is used under ground covering septic systems and insulating roads from frost.

> how do I know the density of the extruded polystyrene?

You really do not know, you have to trust your dealer, that is why you would go to other places than the big box dealers. When you
see, touch, and pinch the different densities you will know the difference.

>  I may have to settle for something less dense.

The less dense it is the more bees chew it. Even at 60 Psi they chew a little. There are higher densities but they coast more and
are custom ordered.

>  Is there a correlation to thickness and "R" value?

Yes, but don't ask me how much difference, you would have to search it as I would.

> Keith, your nuc appeared to be constructed with white polystyrene.  All we have locally is blue and pink (and they told me colors
will vary between manufacturers).  Are there differences in the product, aside from density?

The white is expanded,
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/E/AE_expanded_polystyrene.html
and the blue and pink stuff is extruded.
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/E/AE_extruded_polystyrene.html

Because of the gasses in extruded I think expanded would be better to use although extruded has a high structural strength compared
to other rigid insulation materials.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ , Apiarian, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,