From:
Rod Billett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:47:52 -0500
Hello all.

  I have a few questions relating to the Demaree method.  First,
I've read the sections in Hive & HoneyBee and ABC|XYZ and all did
a good job of explaining how to do the major 'shuffle'.  I
searched Bee-L (Demaree, Demare, Swarm Prevention) and came up
with references to Demaree, but no concrete discussion of the
method. I am a hobbiest who started last spring with two hives,
and have two really strong hives sitting in my back yard, I do
not want to increase my number of hives, and want to retain the
strength of my hives.   A recent inspection revealed the
construction of Swarm cells in one hive, and I noticed laid eggs
in several of them.  So Saturday, I Demareed the Hive - Shaking
all the frames to increase my chances of 'finding that last queen
cell'.  No cells were capped, most had an egg, or royal jelly in
them, So I hope i caught it in time.  I will go back into the
hive next weekend to check for emergency cells in the upper brood
area.

All the readings are very good at describing the initial process,
but there is very little info on how to recombine the 'halves'
once the nectar flow has started.  My intuition is telling me to
move broodless frames from the top back to the bottom on a weekly
basis, so the queen can continue laying.

Any information on how to proceede with this part of the process
would be greatly appreciated.  Also, for a hobbiest, this method
looks as if it could be used in a proactive method instead of a
reactive method for swarm prevention.  Any Experiences?

Rod Billett
Lexington, SC USA