From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:19:02 +0000
Tim said: Kristina, you're right. One thing I should do different next time: pull and
replace the boards multiple times and monitor for a longer period to see
the difference between a rapidly working treatment like hopguard or formic
versus the slow but longer working effect with apivar and other products
meant to be left in for two brood cycles.

Tim in our lab we do screening for potential miticides. We found in our research that Formic, thymol and hop guard are fast acting products. Formic and thymol require a temperature above 15 C (59F). Hopguard and Apivar do not require temperature.  We monitor day 1,2,3 and 5 then we go every 3 days for 42 days. Each time we replace sticky boards. For sure formic acid mitewipe 40ml / pad evaporates in 3 days. Thymovar will last for about 10-15 days. Hope guard only lasts 3-5 days at most. However Apivar has very low drop in the first 3-5 days days based on bee population (1strip for every 5 frames of bees). Apivar stays active for over 30 days up to 56 days. Keep in mind Amitraz  concentration in the strip is 3.3% unlike fluvalinate in apistan strips (10%). The low concentration of Amitraz is made to reduce side effects in bees. For apistan when it used to work we would see over 90% drop in the first 3 days.

For hopguard we showed to achieve 80-85% that you need to apply two applications back to back, once every 10 days.

In case each product has its own profile of mite drop.

Hope this helps.

Medhat Nasr

Alberta Canada