From:
Eric Simms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:14:04 -0700
My outlook was too simplistic, indeed.  I guess my point is that everything in the market place is dynamic.  When conditions across the marketplace make it harder for supply to meet demand, prices for the commodity or service will be able to increase.  Some beekeepers will drop out because they fail to adapt to increasing pressures, but those that stay onboard and adapt will ask higher prices for their goods (honey) and services (pollination contracts), likely becoming more lucrative.  Neither bees nor beekeeping are in danger of going away.  Beekeepers will have to adapt to the new environment, as the bees invariably have to do every time a new pathogen or predator takes up residence in their environment.  Bees are remarkably adaptive, and so are beekeepers.  I don't see the sky falling any time soon.