From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 07:33:46 -0400
Gavin Ramsay wrote:

> To try to distill the report, fluvalinate (Apistan) prefers brood comb over
> honey/feed by a ratio of between 1800 and 10,000 (to one).  The other
> chemical of interest here is coumaphos (Perezin) which prefers comb to
> honey/feed by 300 to 2000 (to one).

> What are the lessons?  Use properly and the residues in the honey will be
> low.

The key is the last statement. Both formulations are for the hive
interior. The problem is that some beekeepers are using pesticides in
their water based, spray formulation as opposed to the commercial
manufactured strips. That changes the dynamics. (I know that there has
been discussion about misuse not causing the problems we have seen with
resistant Varroa, but I believe it is the reason. Both are available in
different formulations and used in agriculture. Too much anecdotal
evidence.)

Even so, wax will end up with the contamination. It stays while nectar,
pollen and honey are transient.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me