From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:22:07 -0500
There have been many comments lately and I may be able to add to the
understanding.

I believe goldenrod such as we have in NYS produces a light very tasteful
honey.  However, annual nectar production seems to require a sweet (lime)
soil.  Here in eastern NYS our soil is acid and in many years the goldenrod
will bloom but not yield nectar.

The western part of the state has more lime in their soil and in most years
they get a bountiful goldenrod crop.  Many migratory beekeepers go there
specfically for the goldenrod after they are through with blueberry
pollination and before going to Florida for the winter.  Beginning about 60
west of Albany the soil starts getting sweeter, particular in the northern
part of the state and it is as sweet as it gets in the Rochester/Buffalo
area south to Jamestown.

Goldenrod nectar is often 'contaminated' by two other major weeds.   One is
aster in all its various forms.  Aster honey will granulate in 2-3 days from
extraction, and will take the goldenrod honey along for the ride.  I believe
aster nectar is not as light as goldenrod, but by no means as dark as
amber.  In the northern part of the state aster starts blooming about 2
weeks after goldenrod starts and will continue for about two weeks after
goldenrod is done.

The other 'contamination' is knotweed.  Knotweed, AKA Japanese Bamboo, is a
highly invasive grass that starts blooming in mid-September.  If not diluted
with other nectars the honey is a deep red.  Knotweed is related to
buckwheat and its  honey has developed a large fan club.  When collected
with goldenrod it turns the honey into a medium amber.

So, if your goldenrod does not yield every year it is probably because of
soil pH.  If goldenrod honey granulates fast, it is almost certainly because
of 'contamination' with aster nectar.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear