From:
Ron Bogansky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:22:41 -0500
Hello again,

As I hinted in my earlier post, I would like to start some discussions with
a more positive spin.  Hopefully we can share some new or even resurrect
some old ideas to make beekeeping easier and more fun. This one is going to
be on my favorite tools used in beekeeping but not designed for beekeeping.

Air Compressor:  This is by far the leader of the group.  For years I
painstakingly nailed frames together, 10 nails per frame, plus 3 or 4 to
hold the foundation cleat.  It seemed to take forever.  I then bought an air
compressor for an unrelated job.  Coupled with a pneumatic stapler I can
whip out frames at an alarming rate compared to the old method.  This year I
built a frame nailing jig.  That added to the speed. The only problem is all
the boxes I have to paint to keep up with the frames.  When I purchased my
compressor they were still somewhat expensive.  Now, because of imports, the
price has dropped substantially making the compressor an affordable tool to
anyone.  While these newer less expensive models may not hold up to
industrial-like tasks, they should be more than ample for the use an average
beekeeper will have. For the price of what you get for a few cases of honey
you can purchase a complete kit.

In addition to nailing I have used it to pry apart two stuck five gallon
buckets.  One little blast of air down the side will free any set of
buckets.  My honey house is close to my workshop and occasionally when
bringing in supers I will notice some bees I did not remove.  A quick grab
of the air hose and the bees are flying back to their home and not carried
inside.  In addition to beekeeping I have found so many uses for my
compressor that I can’t imagine going without it.

Propane Torch:   Another tool that has found many uses in my beekeeping
jobs.  I always seem to put off cleaning old frames until it is too cold for
the solar wax melter to work.  The torch works great here.  Spot cleaning
excluders is another good use.  I have even used it to light a smoker in a
hurry to GENTLY  warm a fume board on a cool cloudy day.  The year I broke
my wrist, I used my torch to help in the uncapping of frames.  I quickly
heated the capping surface to soften them up and then used a capping
scratcher.

Ok, so here are two of my favorite atypical tools for beekeeping.  What have
you tried lately?  Let us know, maybe if some of the ideas are very good Kim
may string a few of them together for an article in Bee Culture.  Then
another group can share in the great knowledge contained in this list.

Ron

Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, PA