From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:12:51 -0500
When I was starting out in beekeeping thirty years ago one of the matters I
found most frustrating was the constant reference, in books and articles,
calling for the use of drawn comb.  Like you, I didn't have any the first
year and as I constantly expanded I almost never had but a few to spare.  I
appreciate your question.
I think the key is to feed your bees heavily.  One to one sugar/water
mixture is fine.  A plastic bucket designed for this purpose is the least
expensive method.  But then you need an empty super or hive body to put over
the bucket...and you might not have one.  The best of all is a hive top
feeder that goes on top of the brood nest just like a normal super.  These
can be relatively expensive, but last forever.  then you don't need the
extra super or hive body as your inner cover and cover just go on top of the
hive top feeder.  Start with a gallon or two of sugar water, and replace
when the bees empty it.  Hive top feeders generally are designed to hold up
to 5 gallons, and there are both one and two gallon pails available for
feeding.  Here in the Northeast, new packages will generally take sugar
water until at least the first of July.
If it were me, I'd medicate right away and keep it up all summer and fall
unless it looks like you might get a super of honey to take from the bees.
Start with one Apistan strip.  Leave it in for only the prescribed time.
Following that either replace it with two new strips (the brood nest will
have expanded to justify that) or, if you think you will get a super of
honey, leave them out until you take the super off.  This is for the Varroa
mite.
In addition, give the bees a patty of Crisco and sugar.  I would not use
Terra the first season.  When the patty disappears, replace it immediately.
It is legal to keep on as long as there is no Terra in it.  You can easily
make your own; two parts granulated sugar to one part Crisco.  Melt the
Crisco first in a microwave.  Make into one pound patties (weight is not
critical..14-18 ounces is fine).  Put 1/2 patty on your package, and when it
is gone put on the other 1/2 patty.  After that, put on a full pound
package.  This is for the tracheal mite.
In the fall, after you have taken off any super, I'd feed again and include
Fumidil-B for nosema during over wintering.
Hope this helps...and good luck!