From:
Bill Van Roekel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:38:38 -0600
Carol is a very bright daughter of a beekeeper who has been doing science
projects concerning beekeeping for the last 2 years or so.  She has
presented her work at the annual Iowa Honey Producers meeting for the last
two or three years.  One project was on winterizing colonies using
insulation filled plastic "bags".  ( Results were something like 100%
survival vs substantial losses, I don't remember the exact figures, but it
seems like it was 60-70% survival on the control)

Her recent work with varroa is, I believe, using plant extracts for
control.  The Iowa Honey Producers have donated money to an entomologist at
Iowa State University to support Carol's work in this area.  It is my
understanding that she will be working with him to confirm her findings,
apply for patents etc.

I would guess that she will again be at our annual meeting in late
October/early November.  I would be happy to supply details as they become
available to interested individuals.