From:
dthompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 14:43:04 -0500
>What do I have in my bees?  Is it the same syndrome that you have?  I'm
>curious.  My collapse was sufficiently rapid that I did not have the
>presence of mind to observe closely, since I did not know what the
>outcome would be and figured it was just a few hives, not the whole yard.
And I suggest that you observe the nearest hives very closely for the next few months
Time will tell

>Ontario team could or would not confirm your contentions
And what would they test for?  I could point to heavy barren deadouts,
and that proves what?  There is no test, that's why I am going on about rear leg symptoms
(which _I_  think is a test)

>So far, CCD is defined by a set of symptoms and a morbid state.
By now these bones should be "fleshed out"
and the "bare" description considered obsolete

>Some of your observations may actually suggest otherwise.
Like:
Presence of capped brood in colonies during time of year when queen should be laying
Pay attention to last 5 words
I notice that they now mention ants  (http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2008.12.30.21.09.archive.html)
Ants is why this is NOT only PPB  (see archives)

Just doing my part, I have learned that when life dumps a problem in your lap,
that you ignore it at your peril. I give myself a B+ overall for this so far
Life is a test, you can decline, and freeze in current position, many do,
but in the long run this is a poor response

>sympathy from friends and banks
You must have an unusual banker

>what beekeepers generally agree is absconding.
Looking at it from the POV(point of view) of the "end state"
abscond -> dead out
dwindling -> dink
Yes it does not happen like the timing of a swarm, call it a ccd abscond
(happens over a few days, a week)

>some researchers have hit the mother lode
I suggest you talk to Jerry B about funding (and this is typical)

>no independent confirmation of your claims
In the archives you can see that I have begged
for anyone to  CONFIRM OR DENY my observations (more than once)
response:  silence
Now it's your turn  (is it ccd? do they show rear leg symptoms?)

>That may be why you have written so cryptically in the past. Maybe you want to inspire disbelief.
hahahaha. No I have the problem of trying to pick EXACTLY the right words,
and do not often succeed.  Now bandwidth is cheap, I should be more descriptive
I hate being redundant (with my words).

> have you been able to observe your 'CCD' in the US and discuss it with those who 'own' the term?
Alas, INS loves me too much. As much as I would like to go to California, I would not get there
(is INS the right TLA? (three letter anacronym))
None of the "clean" hives that I have seen in ON have shown rear leg symptoms

>1. Your condition is the same CCD that the US reports
>2. Your claim that vitamin C is the answer.
My bees are sick in a never before seen way.  What else would it be?
(the sickness is non-trivial and more than PPB)

No VC is NOT the answer. It is however a treatment that will reduce the problem.
The problem will not go away.  It, so far, is the ONLY feasable treatment.
And how much does iRNA cost?? And where to buy?
After ccd effects start to show VD control is too late (varroa destructor)

Yesterday I noticed that VC was on sale, I bought another 500x500mg bottle,
I had better get another one today.  Am I self-deluded?  Probably not.
(I have asked myself this question well over 100 times)

>Has anyone confirmed your observations in other operations and confirmed
>that VC works for them?
No and this is the strangest thing
I have seen how the SC and vapourized mineral oil advocates have
been responded to.  The silence is creepy.

thanks for your balanced reply
dave