From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2015 07:19:11 -0500
Hi all

The idea that science is value neutral is false. Information alone can tell us nothing; it has to be interpreted. Everything we think is based on our accumulated knowledge, which is completely personal and unique to each of us.

Rather than try to pretend it's not so, better to get really good at evaluating and presenting the information, based on our understanding of it. Unless we are vigilant and alert, so-called science becomes a "just so" story, propaganda, dogmatism.

> The subjectivist states his judgements whereas the objectivist sweeps them under the carpet by calling assumptions knowledge (Bradshaw and Bekoff. 2001).

> One hallmark of the scientific worldview is falsifiability: science is a process and it is not suited to the universalistic and timeless claims often attributed (rightly or wrongly) to traditional religions (Larson, Brendon M.H. 2015)

> It is not biological diversity that is a value in itself, but the relationship that we have to the environment through our culture and daily lives. (Parizeau, Marie‐Hélène. 2015).

PLB