Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:05:42 -0700
> I wish that there were a simple answer.  The simplest would be to stay
> below 2 mites per 100 bees all the time.

Agreeing with Randy, let me add that the question is one of probabilities,
and that although there is no 1 to 1 direct relationship between mite loads
and colony death, there is a strong correlation.  The lower the number, the
lower the risk of colony death due to mite-related causes.

However, the wildcard here is that if we go too low, there is the risk of
developing resistant mites quickly due to killing all but the very most
hardy which then multiply and interbreed without competition from their weak
sisters.

So, there is probably a sweet spot, where we see the typical mite loads
below the seasonal and local thresholds, but not too many zeros.