From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:41:35 -0400
Someone asked how producers treat for Varroa when they have important fall
honey flows.

In this immediate area we have good, but not substantial, Goldenrod flows
beginning in late August and we are immediately adjacent (100 US miles) to
areas that have very substantial Goldenrod flows.  I have been part of and
observed several stratigies for treating for Varroa while acknowleging those
flows.

1.  Pull supers and treat with fluvalinate or coumaphous for 1-2 weeks
during dearths in August.  Initially several beekeepers tried this, but I
have not heard of its use in the past few years.  Disadvantages were
resistance to chemicals, a lot of extra heavy lifting, expensive when
considering the necessity to treat again in the late fall, etc.
2.  Forgo the goldenrod flow and leave it for the bees.  Pull supers and
treat in late August.  IMO, this is gaining in favor.  Some are treating in
August with formic and again in December/January with Oxalic.  Some are
treating with fluvalinate or coumaphous in August and oxalic in
December/January, and some are only using fluvalinate or coumaphous in
August (there are fewer and fewer of these).
3.  Go for the Goldenrod flow with no August treatment and treat with
whatever in October.  There are fewer and fewer of these as the result is
numerous hive collaspes in September and October and high winter losses.
High winter losses may be due to the inability of the hive to produce a full
cycle of varroa free bees for the winter cluster.

We have some areas of NYS where the Goldenrod flow is the only flow with a
surplus, but the size of the surplus can be substantial.  Some members of
Bee-L are in these areas.  I would love to hear from them what has and has
not been successful.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear