Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:25:03 PST
Hello Gang,

I shut off my electric fence for the winter this week.
The cold and wind have kept the weather winter like enough
to make me think that the bears have finally called it
quits for the rest of the season. Whew!!

My hives are wrapped in open cell foam backed plastic with
air holes cut to the ajoining holes in the hive bodies for
ventilation. The mouse guards are on too.

The wind is "Ah-Blowin a livin gale out theyah!" as we say in
New England. I usually place a sheet of tar paper in front
of the entrances to block a strong blast of wind.
The paper forms a lean to at the entrance and does not
completely block it shut.
This also allows for the bees to enter and egress.

This year I tried something new.
I cut some branches from Chirstmas trees that border our
land and placed them in front of each hive entrance instead
of using the tar paper. It took from three to five branches
depending on how thick they were. The bees can still come
and go, the sun shines through the branches, and the force
of the wind is broken from having a direct access to the
entrance.

I figure that just after the first of the year there will be
lots of raw material around anywhere in the country for
wind breaks.And as a bonus, I completely covered a nuc
igloo style with the entrance side branches slightly over
hanging box. The branches in the front are arranged so
the sun shines right on the box but the branches protect
the entrance from the wind.

Merry Christmas to all ,

Ernie Gregoire "Beekeeper," definition= partially brave,

                            partially excentric

Grist Mill Apiary

Canaan, NH. USA

12/17/99 14:25:03