Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 07:09:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Lately in my home yard I'm noticing quite a few bees crawling on the ground     
through the grass.  They are sometimes drones.  The behavior is hurried and     
they appear disoriented, sometimes running in crazed circles if they make       
it onto a smooth surface. At night you can hear them giving short little        
buzzes as they try to make it through the ground cover.  Otherwise the          
colonies seem fine and are very active.                                         

There were lots of ground-crawling groggy bees a few years ago when the        
tracheal mites first appeared, and the "K-wing" symptom was obvious.  Now       
I'm not noticing any odd wing positioning with these bees.  This is the         
only yard where I had 100% winter survival.  (I have patties in all the         
hives, but have never used menthol.)  Does this CRAWLING-about behavior         
sound familiar to anyone?  We've discovered that we must watch where we         
step if not wearing shoes!            Thanks muchly,     JWG                    

ATOM RSS1 RSS2