From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 21:22:26 -0500
Hello Peter & All,
I am a fairly knowledgeable beekeeper on most issues but we are all in a
learning process concerning nosema ceranae. My area is in control at the
front lines.  I am not familiar at this time with many of the technical
information Peter has posted.

My contacts in research have helped arm me with information to aid in my
(Randy and others?) trying to effect control of a growing problem in U.S.
beekeeping.

When I get the information from the research comunity the information is
presented in a way I can understand. I in turn attempt to explain to other
beekeepers.

I am most interested in what works to control nosema ceranae. Learning what
does not work is vary valuable. The information I received last fall ( based
on their research knowledge at the time) proved not to control nosema
ceranae.
Experimental method and dosing has been changed a couple times this spring.

When we get it right a few of us will tell what we have learned. Until then
we are all in a learning mode. I will say that some of the methods which
worked to control nosema ceranae in Spain are not working in areas of the
U.S. Hopefully the USDA-ARS will come up with a workable plan for control.

> Would you mind telling us who thinks that?

I can say that the researchers doing the nosema seminar at the National
meeting said that nosema ceranae was more similar to nosema vespula than
nosema apis.

Privately I would rather not say but I will take a few statements from the
information you provided and I think the list will see why thymol was used
to attempt to control nosema ceranae. Thymol was suggested by researchers
because thymol was effective in controlling nosema vespula *but* not
preventing. Randy is doing testing with thymol but to my knowledge adding
thymol to syrup will not prevent nosema ceranae ( same as with nosema
vespula). I think Randy is testing thymol to treat nosema ceranae (which has
shown to help with nosema vespula ). Any findings yet Randy?

 N. vespula was chosen as a model organism to test the
> biological activity of thymol. This organism was chosen because it is
> easily
> maintained in the laboratory.
>
>> Statistical analysis of the data demonstrated that thymol was
>> biologically
> active against N. vespula.

From this research some U.S. researchers felt thymol might do the same for
nosema ceranae.

> Feeding of diet containing thymol prior to infection was not found to be
> of
> significant value in preventing infection

I think we can say for sure now thymol fed as a preventative will not work.
I think one might say fumidil fed per label does a poor job of preventing
infection.

Possibly feeding a solution of thymol will prove effective in control of
nosema ceranae in the future. Right now it seems fumidil is the only option.
Commercial beeks are pressing researchers for another product to use against
nosema ceranae.

bob