Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 00:26:36 GMT
Hi all,

The other day Allen asked about the pH of the bee gut.  I don't know the answer to that question.  I will say that some of our "natural health" style friends subscribe to a belief that different blood types should eat differant foods.  Apparently, I'm supposed to be on a low acid diet.

I appear to be pretty healthy, and my diet is very acidic....it isn't really exaggerating things to say that my diet consists mostly of coffee, red meat, and grapefruit juice (maybe some tomatoes).  When I've researched this, it appears that humans only live when their blood pH is within a very narrow range...regardless of what food goes in.

On page 35 of the current Brushy Mountain catalog, I did find some interesting things.  There are 5 "feed supplements" of varying types on this page, I'll quote from 3 of them:

Vita Feed GREEN:  "...while stabilizing the pH of the bee's gut to within the optimum range and provides a wide spectrum of protection: fungicidal, bactericidal, antioxidant and varroa repellent in a feed based product."

[here, it seems that the pH is considered important, but so also is killing fungi and bacteria...presumably in the gut where the feed goes.  Obviously, the manufacturer must have some idea what the "optimum range" of pH of the bees gut _should_ be, otherwise they wouldn't know what the "optimum" was.]

Api Go:  "...which has demonstrated the ability to improve the intestinal microbial flora of adult bees and larvae increasing colony performance."

[Does "improve" imply "more microbes"?  Here, colony performance is linked to the intestinal microbial flora of adult bees and larvae.  It's worth noting that as far as I know, the larvae isn't known to have intestinal microbial flora, but that may well change with newer tools, just like we now know the honeystomach has microbial flora.]

Api Herb:  "...will correct intestinal imbalance and reduce stress..."

[What is out of balance?  The microbes is the obvious answer, but it could be a chemical, or even pH.]

So, what to make of it all?  The microbes have to be "killed" _and "improved".  The pH of the bees gut must be "stabilized" and "optimum", and the intestines must be balanced.  Perhaps I'll get an eyedropper and open a colon hydrotherapy clinic for bees :)

deknow