From:
Adam Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2016 16:03:45 -0500

> Evidence, experiments, experience to help sort all of this out?

I had an experience this fall with one yard of 25 colonies.  Average of 5
washes was 1.75%, with a maximum of 3.3%.  I treated the yard with MAQS.
While open feeding the yard, I noticed a significant amount of feed
"disappearing" and realized that with the unseasonably warm weather, the
feed was in reach of another beekeepers bees(about 5km away).  I switched
to feeding with top feeders and checked the yard again.  Average of 5
washes was now 6% with a max of 15% despite my MAQS treatment.  There was
approx 4 weeks between tests.  My conclusion was that my hives had picked
up a significant number of mites while sharing the open feeders.

Adam
Barrie, ON