From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:52:19 -0300
Hi Juanse:

> I was noticed today that tomorrow a neigbouring Apple field will spray
> SEVIN
> XLR plus from Bayer. ..... Any one know for how long should I keep my bees
> closed in the hive? Would it
> be enough for one day after the spray?

I have had two times when blueberry growers had to spray that product just
at the beginning of flowering because of infestation of geometer worm.  Both
times they asked me to move the hives in right afterwards and I did.  I did
not have problems with beekill, but I did notice both times that the bees
avoided the fields that were sprayed and only worked the unsprayed fields.
One time I had the bees right on the lane between a sprayed and unsprayed
field and I went and got the grower and showed him that the bees were only
working one side of the lane (I was trying to convince him not to use the
product again close to flowering).  The bumblebees did not seem as sensitive
to the smell, and they were working both sides.

Hope that experience helps.  Apple blossom is a lot more attractive to bees
than blueberry blossom however.

Good Luck
Stan