From:
Stephen Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INFORMED Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:29:58 -0500
>I have been doing some research into buck wheat and  see that this
>honey is supposed to be prised in the US  and Canada.
>
>Is this still the case and is there a market for it.  Also  how long
>dose it yield for and how much can one expecx from a hive
>
>thanks
>
>Andrew

Just bought a hundred pound of buckwheat seed today which will be sown on a
couple of acres for soil improvement.  The last time I planted buckwheat was
twenty years ago.  Don't know what kind it was but the bees did work it from
the spring sowing.  When it came back from tilling later in the summer, the
bees ignored it.  Could the problem with nectar secretion be the time of
year it blooms?

The variety is not listed on the bags I purchased today.  Will post the
results of what happens with this year's time, money and work.

Steve
Zone 6