From:
Tim Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 14:25:08 -0400
At 09:31 AM 5/21/96 -0500, Aaron Morris wrote:

>> not very impressed with Walter Kelley Italians at this point. Bees
>> working some days..but not as much as #1.
>>
>Whoa!  Tim, this is a world wide forum and you have just slandered
>Walter Kelley for a trait of Italian bees!  Originally from a
>Mediterranean climate, Italian bees are not known for their rapid spring
>buildup, but they will catch up as the season gets warmer.  If this
>is not to your liking, a statement like "I don't care for Italian bees
>in Vermont" is appropriate.  But you should be careful not to blame (or
>defame) Walter Kelley or his livelihood based on the genetic traits of
>the bees he supplied!

        Let me just say in my defense that if I wanted to slander or defame
anyone
        I would do it in such a way so that would leave no doubt as to my
intentions
        (evil grin). My impression is just that...an impression or opinion.
Perhaps
        clarification is in order.

        Everyone in these parts that I have spoken to deals with Kelley for
their
        package bees. This year, Kelley's demand was SO high that they ran
out early on.
        I have referred several people locally as well as by email to
contact the
        York Bee Co. in Jesup GA. Being in VT a lot of us 'keepers don't
order our pkgs
        until what many southern folk would consider late (April). York has
ALWAYS had
        pkgs until way past when everyone else is done. Until two years ago, I
        had always ordered the 'Double Hybrid' strain from York. Then, after
hearing
        so many reports of Kelley bees, I ordered 1 pkg. Kelley only deals
with                 Italians. In my mind I was only reporting how well
these bees have adapted to           Northern VT. I have not been impressed.
My comparison benchmarks are not
        established fairly, however. The double hybrid strain, in my
opinion, is
        amazing in many ways. Almost always gentle, very prolific and good
producers,
        these girls have adapted so well to the harshest winters and will be out
        flying in 40deg weather in March (when sunny) rumaging through my
birdfeeders
        for anything that remotely resembles pollen. By contrast, the
italians don't
        begin to move about until 60deg (two weeks ago this year) and by the
time
        hive buildup is done they may have missed all of the tree blooms and
probably
        the dandelion bloom as well. Is any of this of earth shaking
importance? No.
        But it may be good info for anyone considering buying Italians for
this climate.
        I should not have specified 'Walter Kelley' Italians, but there are
so many
        pkg suppliers who claim their Italians are a MUCH better strain than
anyone
        else's..I thought naming the supplier wouldn't be such a bad idea.
        Finally, 'Kelley's bees' aren't even their bees....they second
source from
        unamed suppliers in the South.

        The Walter Kelley Co is my single source for ALL of my equipment
needs. I
        refer anyone who asks me about an equip supplier souce to Kelley. Local
        suppliers are a good source for emergency needs but are priced too
high to
        hold my business for large quantities.

Tim Peters, Kirby VT
KirBee Apiary, Bear Bait Honey