From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2018 17:33:25 -0500
I am now in the unenviable position of trying to refute things I never said. I never made any negative remarks about queen quality, nor mentioned any breeders by name.

Here is the issue as I see, it,  With complete due respect to your thoughts.

Here is what you posted exactly!

Hi all
Look at queen breeder's ads, the majority of them sell more than one breed, typically Italians and Carniolans raised in the same neighborhood. There is no effort to isolate drones, only the mothers are selected. Here is info from one of the large producer's website:

Italian queens form the backbone of OHB. We choose our breeder queens based on the hive's performance in honey production, gentleness, brood-rearing viability, and overall ability to overwinter healthy and heavy. In addition, OHB has worked with the "Tech Transfer Team," developed by world-renowned entomologist Marla Spivak, since before its official launch in an effort to identify and maintain desirable traits in our current stock. We've infused the "Minnesota Hygienic" and the "VSH" traits into our Italian stock, in an effort to enhance disease and mite resistance or tolerance

The problem IMO lies in the simple comment you made that there is "No attempt to isolate drone mothers"   That is simply wrong in OHB,  and in most other yards also.  While they may be open mated,  all good breeders wish to saturate the DCA to the maximum possible.  It seemed very clear to me that the point you were trying to make is was that breeders are at best irresponsible.  If that was not the point,  then I stand corrected.

I am sincerely sorry if that was not your intent,  but I read it several times to be sure.  While communication via written form can get messy, we also have many chances to correct it and move onward,  and for most of us at least,  no respect is lost, dispite the disagreement.  As you put it,  its not personal.

Charles