From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:48:17 -0700
> I agree on the face of what is today known, selling HF as Honey is not
> right or legal in the US and other areas. I am not convinced that Dhampur
> is doing any thing different from other sugar companies other then they
> say they have a HF product that chemically can not be detected as any
> different then honey...

I tend to agree with Andy here.

However, Dave (and I suspect Gwen) sent me the material I used to make the
page in question, and I think that some kind of response is in order to
the deliberate promotion of something called a 'honey analog', rather than
corn syrup, etc. Beside, you all know me, I like a bit of controversy now
and then as long as it is friendly.  So I put the material where it can be
seen:  Sorta a run-the-flag-up-the-pole-and-see-who-salutes approach.

Is this the end of the world as we know it?  I doubt it.  That world ended
some time ago and we're still surviving on residual body heat (to steal
from a long-dead french philosoper).  Nonetheless, I think that we need to
think this over with clear minds.  No issue has only one side.

When it comes to winter feed, we have had a problem with inverts int he
past up here in the Great White North.  Long winters and the slightly
reduced cage bee life that has been observed on HFCS compared to sucrose
conspire to defeat our attempts to winter on cheap feeds ande leave us
hostage to the sugar monoploy here in Canada.

Now, along comes a substance that is indistinguishable from honey and
apparently it is cheap enough to tempt packers into keeping a few drums
close to the blending room door.  This is obviously bad news for us as
beekeepers, since the potential for damage to markets that have always
been ours alone and the potential loss of reputation is something to fear.

However -- on the other side -- here may be the long awaited perfect
winter feed?????

Allen

PS: Yes, Dave's effort is focused on Canada, but he has strong ties to
California.  I'm sure he would be glad to get involved in a US effort too,
but his main concern now, if understand correctly, is to ensure Canada
obeys the rules.

If anyone has any info on a US (or other country's) campaign to deal with
this, please send me the material and I will consider psoting it with what
you havel seen by now, or linking to any sites dealing with the subject.

And in the interest of fairness (and keeping the pot boiling:), I'll
consider posting any defenses of what we may euphonistically call
'blending'.

--
Buy, sell, trade, get a job, hire help, announce a
meeting, advertise a business or publication...