From:
"Peter W. Plumley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:48:30 -0400
Walt:

        I combined a number of weak hives this September and created some
triple deckers.  When taking the Apistan Strips off at the end of October,
I reduced then to two brood supers. In some hives, the bees had centered in
the lower brood super, and in others the top super.  And in all cases, one
super was always devoid of bees - and nearly of honey storage too.
        Therefore, I suggest you simply open them up and find where they
are centering/clustering - and remove the deep super that has the fewer
number, which could be the bottom or top.
        I would also pick the warmest day you can - so if they do fly
they'll have a chance of making it back inside.

PWP

Plumley Farms - LaFayette, New York