Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:51:05 PST
Hello Gang,

Temperatures in the 50s allowed a close inspection of all hives.
The robust hives ate themselves out of house and home and
have not a whole lot of stores left. The average hive is doing
the best with a full Illinois super left to eat.

The US Farm Report show that I watch on Saturday morning has a very
good weather section. You can get it on the net at farmpage.com

The weather man pointed out a long term drought in the east and
says it will continue this year. This has me rethinking my over winter
plans for the up coming year. I should have pulled some nucs out of
those robust hives in August to save winter feed. The winter was very mild.

I had left more than enough for a normal winter and even though they
still have some left, I do not believe they will make it to the sustaining bloom without feed. If we get an repeat performance of 1999, I'll
take some nucs out if the colonies are super strong.

 So far so good, no losses here.

Ernie Gregoire "Beekeeper," definition= partially brave,

                            partially excentric

Grist Mill Apiary

Canaan, NH. USA

01/28/99 19:49:48