From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2016 22:45:26 -0400
>> logging each visit by each vehicle to
>> each yard through the simple expedient
>> of leaving the "breadcrumbs"
>> ("Tracklog") feature turned on, and
>> uploading each unit's tracklog memory
>> to a spreadsheet each day.
>> One could do the same today with cellphone-based GPS.

> Am I the only one to say 'what'???*

Sorry, I'll explain.

Assuming you have "location history" enabled (and unless you turn it off, it
is on by default!) and you have Google Maps installed on your phone, you can
go here and see where you have been when (clicking will prompt you to sign
in with your google account - use the one associated with your phone).

http://maps.google.com/locationhistory/

You can "save" a place once you get there on your phone, and even if you are
miles away from a cell phone tower, you can still use these tools by
downloading highly detailed maps for "offline areas".  There are
instructions for both at support.google.com

Assuming that you issue "company phones" to employees, you can create "work
accounts" for each phone, and track where each phone goes using the same
facility.  This is good for "yard level" tracking, and great for stopping
the side-trips to locations where liquor is served.

If you want to make sure that employees are not goofing off on the job once
they get to a yard, you can also equip the phone with a "fitbit-like"
activity and motion tracker, there are several marketed as "fitness" apps,
such as "Jawbone Up".  But I leave my phone in my gear bag when I am working
hives, as "Phones and Propolis Do Not Mix" any better than Palm Pilots and
propolis mixed in prior decades, so any such software would tend to think
that all I do is take a nap at the edge of every yard I visit.  :)