From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 23:02:35 -0400
>> I had told her often that they are called "Kenyan"
and not "Maine" TBH for a reason so I did not give them much of a chance..

My understanding is that the T.B. hive
was designed so that it could be made
cheaply, for the poor in third world
countries. Not because the design
was suitable for any particular climate.

>>They survived the winter and are in excellent shape. All her other colonies
died at her new home. My dilemma is she is a "natural" beekeeper who does not treat but says that bees are naturally resistant to Varroa when they build their own comb.

Me personally, I do not buy the 'natural
comb resistance thing.'  My personal belief
is that the rate of survival is based on
the rate of stresses. Natural comb in a TBH,
allowing for smooth transition across combs
may be one stress reducer in itself.

I still need to check with other beekeepers in my area,
but the neighbor nearest to me is reporting 4 out of
4 survival, without any treatments or varroa checking,
and while poorly tending his colonies.  I do not know
why colonies in my area are not succumbing to varroa,
they just do not have a problem with it, and I find it
fascinating that varroa is such a problem else ware.
Its been now nearly 30 years with varroa and no
sustainable resistance?

PS.  I am building TBH's this Spring.  not because of
the natural comb resistance thingy, but because
those wanting bees from me are demanding
TBH hives, thats where the money is nowadays.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
'Historical Honeybee Articles' on FB