From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:08:40 -0700
From: "Peter Borst"> this is totally unrealistic. will the honey not be
uncapped with a hot
> knife?

Hi Peter:

It is not unrealistic. We uncap by scratching and others here use Gunness
uncappers which use no heat. We keep our sump and our bottling tank at 95
deg F and sell the product in the granulated state with instructions as to
how to soften it by warming to 100 deg F and stirring.

If you want to sell liquid honey and keep it liquid for  a long time, you
have to heat it up, but that is a different product.

Incidentally, we do not make any effort to sell our honey as organic etc. It
is just easier to do it this way. As for the wax, we wash the cappings in
warm water and use the resulting diluted honey as feed. The wax from this
process is beautifully clean and bright and, again, it is less trouble than
using a heated honey/wax separator.

                                    Best regards