From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 10:34:54 -0500
Hi Bill Bobson -

How's it going?  Sounds like you got some honey!  In response to your query,
if you are cutting the combs for comb-honey you are liable to often end up
with combs not completely capped on both sides, or with discolored/uneven
cappings in certain parts, etc.  What I do is to cut around these portions
if possible, to get my chunks of comb honey.  Then toss the uncapped or
unsightly chunks leftover into a pail.

It is very easy to deal with these leftovers.  Just mash them up well, to
rupture all the cells.  You can use a stick, masher, or your hands (roll up
your sleeves!).  It doesn't take long, and you will end up with a slurry of
honey and mashed comb.  Simply dump this mash onto a strainer screen (or
cloth) over another pail, and let it drain through for a couple of days,
preferably in a warm place.  You will get practically all the honey out of
the wax this way, and into a pail for straining and bottling.  The big lump
of sticky wax in the strainer can be rinsed and melted down into a cake.

If you prefer, hang the strainer cloth full of the drained wax out near
your hive for a couple of days, and let the bees lick the remaining honey
through the strainer.  Then you can rinse and process the wax.

This is in my experience the best way to deal with comb honey or natural
honey-combs to yield liquid honey.  You might try it and see what you
think.

Have fun --

JWG