From:
aweinert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 06:40:21 +0000
be careful with the metals that you  use with  peroxide.  as
mentioned before it is a strong oxiduzing agent.

I remember an incident at at dry cleaners where an employee used (I
think)

 a copper rod to  stir peroxide.

The result was  that there were toxic fumes given off and the fire
brigade called to  clear the area.

Stainless steel is OK   (we use it  with peroxide in the dairy
industry) but I am not sure about galvanised  material.(My guess is
that  it would FIZZ spectacularly)

SO work in open areas with peroxide if it is your first time  and be
very careful.

Garth might be able to give us the  correct  chemistry.  (My
chemistry is fading in the  archives of my head)

Andrew Weinert
Atherton, Tropical North Queensland
Australia
17.17 Degrees South, 145.30 Degrees  East