From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:59:17 -0600
> Would love an easier way. Something one
> person could handle. Something easy to use, set up, take down, and
> transport. I don't want to weigh 1/2 of the hive at a time, and then take
> an average. I want the real weight. I find that by weighing each hive...

Try the 'Hivetorque' from Honeywood Bee Supply (1-306-862-5454,  Box 2076
Nipawin SK SOE 1E0) for $195.00 Canadian ($137 US)

It weighs each hive by lifting the front a little bit and doubling the
reading.  I understand that it is basically a glorifed torque wrench that
inserts in the entrance opening.  A simple movement of the handle
gives the reading.  This gives a very close estimate on total hive weight.
 I've done some tests and found that there is no need to measure front and
back. Weights can vary from one side to the other, but usually, in Fall
at least,  front and back are pretty well idendical. (not true in Spring).
I've also tried building such a device myself and decided that his price
is reasonable :)

Honeywood also sells proven feeding and wintering supplies, including a
very good feeding pail.

Allen
---
BEE-L can be searched for items in a particular date range. The
following message (To the LISTSERVER-not BEE-L) retrieves only the
messages since January 1997.
SEARCH formic acid IN bee-l SINCE Jan 1997
The capitals indicate commands which the LISTSERVER responds to
and the small letters indicate the things that you specify.
(Courtesy Don Aitken)