From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 21:03:04 -0700
As always, lots of different ways of doing things.

Re: comb storage, bees like to store honey more in dark combs, but those
combs are always a wax moth time bomb in warm weather.  Any honey in dark
combs I extract right away.  I use queen excluders for much of my honey
production, and keep those combs "white"--no cocoons or pollen.  the white
combs can be stored in any weather, honey-filled or empty, for years
without moth damage--no protein for the larvae to grow on.

Dark combs store best with lots of ventilation and light.  Sealing them up
creates perfect moth habitat.  Safe to store as long as temps are cool.
In spring, as soon as temps climb above 70°, I get them onto bees asap.

Re queen marking.  Lots of ways (like Bob's) work--try them all.  My
normal is Testor's sky blue for yellow queens, yellow for dark queens (I
don't use year code).  These colors show best.  Drill hole in lid, and
make a coathanger wire loop to fit tight in hole.  Grind end square.  Test
drop on drones first, then kill them so they don't confuse you in the
hive.  Shake paint well each time.  Consistency is important.

I approach queen with left hand from behind (I'm a righty)and snatch her
up by wings from behind.  Get wings from each side, so she can't twist.
Get paint dabber ready.  Lower queen onto pants leg, and she will grab and
hold still for a bit.  Dab her once straight down with paint.  Lift her
and blow off  solvent.  Release her onto comb.  If paint is left wet,
workers will drag it over her wing bases.  Watch her for a few seconds to
make sure workers don't jump her.  Paint will last a lifetime.

Have only been stung once ever by a queen (have handled and marked
thousands)--a young one I had chased and dropped a few times, and then
pinned against my bare leg.  Venom hurt.

Randy Oliver