From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:43:34 -0000
Hi Aaron & all

> Aaron Morris - thinking no statistically significant difference in the
fall
> cluster size, mite load and honey production regardless of bottom board,
> screened or solid.

I am thinking that expectations are too high...

Open Mesh Floors are not a "magic bullet" nor were they ever envisaged as a
varroa reduction tool, they are used mainly for improved wintering. I think
there is some prejudice against them in US as there was a hundred years ago
(and still is) in some parts of UK.

As far as there effectiveness against varroa is concerned, they will reduce
mite numbers... simply due to the mechanics of varroa foot grip and gravity,
but do not expect these reductions to be significant enough for control of
varroa.

Another problem that I notice with US assessments and trails of OMFs is
using low stands and pallets... In UK and Europe the hives are raised 300 mm
to 450 mm above the ground to allow a full flow of air underneath the floors
of the hives.

One of the perceived benefits of OMF in UK is the slightly retarded spring
build up. This ultimately leads to stronger colonies as the retarded
colonies build up at an accelerated rate.

Best regards & 73s... Dave Cushman G8MZY
Beekeeping & Bee Breeding Website
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman

---