From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:41:52 -0500
Murray corrected my careless comments.  I apologize to the list and thank Murray, whom I assume is correct.

My comments on honey prices were based on two sources; one in Sweden and the other in Germany.  Both reported to me  the practice of taking all the honey in the fall and substituting sugar syrup; both for the same reason, that honey prices are far higher than syrup prices, with the bonus that the syrup is better for the bees than is honey.  I now understand that both may be (are) niche markets for local honey.

My comments concerning sugar syrup prices are based on the US press reporting of inexpensive world prices compared to US prices.  I was not aware that the EU also subsidized the price of sugar.

In quantity of several tons, our sugar prices are approximately  $550 a ton (English ton, or about 900 kilos.  Our corn syrup (HFCS) prices (80% solids) in tanker loads (20 tons) are approximately $.44 a kilo.  However, when this gets to the hobbyist it is likely to cost about the same as sugar, considering the cost of the bucket and a dealer's modest markup.  Nonetheless, the beekeeper saves the considerable labor cost and mess involved in making ones own syrup from sugar.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturer of round comb honey equipment and Sundance pollen traps
http://www.rossrounds.com