From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:01:45 +1300
For the last two years I've returned to tertiary study to get a
qualification (Master of Computing) from UNITEC in Auckland, New Zealand.
Almost every paper I took I managed to work beekeeping into somehow or
other!

For my dissertation, the equivalent of 6 months of study, I wrote "An
Analysis of Posting Frequency, Size and Source for an Electronic Mail
Distribution List".  I took 12 years of postings to BEE-L - 35,852 messages
- and analysed them in a number of ways - almost all of them quantitatively,
rather than for content...

You can find the dissertation on line at:
http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/dissertation

Here is the abstract:

Internet electronic mail lists provide a means for groups of individuals to
communicate effectively, as well as providing an archive of messages for
future analysis.

This dissertation examines one such electronic mail distribution list to
identify the range of information that is contained in the metadata of the
historical archive of the list. The dissertation quantitatively analyses the
list archives to extract information to identify trends and to quantify the
changes that have occurred during the list's existence.

List activity, as expressed in terms of number of messages in a given time
period, is shown to vary dramatically. Other measures of activity, including
size of messages over time are examined and discussed.

The origins of the messages - by person, country, domain and nature of
domain - are examined to extract the full range of details contained within
the information stored with each message in the list archives.

Measures of individual activity are provided for the individuals who were
the most active participants on the distribution list, as well as those
members who only ever contributed one single message.

Information from the message headers and subject lines are examined and
compared over the period of the list history. Other activity measures
relating to the date and time of postings are examined to identify seasonal,
weekly and daily trends in activity on the list. The domain of origin, and
where able to be obtained, the country of origin, are determined and
analysed to promote a further understanding of the changing nature of the
list's contributors.

The impact of moderation, the rejection and editing of some messages
submitted, is analysed in terms of number, size and similar features.

Changes over time in the nature of the participants contributing to the list
are quantified, supporting statements that over the twelve years of the list
the proportion of scientists, educators and regulators on the list has
reduced as the number of hobbyist and commercial beekeepers has increased.
Changes in international participation on the list are also examined, with
the conclusion that there has probably been a narrowing of participation
after a peak in the late 1990's.

Nick Wallingford in Tauranga, New Zealand
http://www.beekeeping.co.nz