From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2006 09:19:20 -0400
K&W Jarrett wrote:
> I do not know one CA keeper that has small hive beetle. I've talk to many keepers for my A.B.J report most are friends and not one has it (75,000 hives).
http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/faculty/mussen/5-6-01.pdf#search=%22california%20%22small%20hive%20beetle%22%22

Well, the Department of Entomology at Davis in 2001 found SHB in
California. That was five years ago. And not one dropped off the truck
or colony?

Interesting that the article says why they may not be a problem in CA,
because of the soil and temperature. Until I went around the State of
Maine with Tony Jadczak I thought there was no SHB in Maine, but he
showed me otherwise.

Just reinforces my post that we are really talking about money more than
protection.

Bill Truesdell (whose bees have never had Varroa, Tracheal, SHB, AHB,
BVD's, PDQ, DDT, or halitosis and I dare you to prove otherwise.)
Bath, Maine