From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 16:02:06 -0800
mark berninghausen wrote:

>That's quite a good price, Randy. You must live in an area where alot of people can pay well and are demanding of the honey they consume. Good for you.

We have a vibrant natural foods community to sell to.

>  What are your "organic " standards? Are your bees foraging on an organically grown floral source? Are you "Certified Organic"? Or self certified?

I don't call it organic--I was being brief for the List.  I tell buyers
that I cannot obtain organic certification, since my bees forage locally
over houses in the country, where someone may spray.  Otherwise, I use
no synthetic miticides, and process in a 90°F room without additional
heat (for my "natural" honey).  That seems to be good enough for the
buyers.  However, the main selling point is always the word "local."

>  You must be well situated to be able to sit on drums of honey until the price goes up. I've heard of such folks, but never met one.

Not by choice--I pool my drums with a friend who sells by the semi
load.  I'm waiting on him, and he will wait for a good price.  When the
price spiked to $1.50 two years ago, he was sitting on 300 drums of
honey worth about $1000 each.  The proceeds paid for his new 9000 sq ft
honey house, heated by a geothermal well.
Randy