From:
Madeleine Pym <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 23:20:29 +0100
Hi one and all,

Ted and Tom between them said:

>> Drum on the side of the lower skep. The bees will march
>> from one to the other, like watching a swarm enter a hive.

> Have you seen them actually do this?

My father occasionally puts a (small) swarm into a skep for the summer to build comb so that later he can use it to display the old style method of beekeeping at talks, etc.

When he wants to clear them he gives them a little smoke and then turns it upside down in front of an empty hive (one brood chamber), sets it between his knees at an angle and starts gently drumming on the sides. It is slow and gentle like an old grandfather clock but half as slow again - about every 1. 5 seconds. Slowly those bees will, and do, march there way up into their new home. If you're looking hard you will see the queen go in too.

All you need apart from those things is a neat little stool for those rickety knees and some patience.

Can't think what he does about the brood that may still be there or the stores, so if anyone wants to no more I'll ask and send the next instalment. I can tell you that people love to see it but you have to keep their mits out or they will squash the comb between their fingers out of curiosity. They'll break bits off too given the chance.

Madeleine Pym, London, England