From:
stephen j clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1993 17:10:27 -0400
In regards to the following message:

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: Austrailian bees sting tree and it dies?!?!
>Sender: Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
>To: STEPHEN CLARK <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I had an old friend who had a wooden leg. His leg was attacked by
>stinging bees. The result was that the wood swelled up to over
>three times its original diameter and rent his trouser-leg assunder!
>I told him he should have been wearing shorts. Anyway, as he tried
>to walk home, the swollen wood became so weak, that his leg broke.
>My friend was remarkably agile, and wasn't hurt by the fall. He
>did get up and hop to the nearest wooden leg factory, some 2,500 km
>distant. They fixed him up the next day. Please note that this
>series of events did not take place in Australia.

That's nothing!  I know a couple whose baby wandered away while they were
having a picnic in the woods and was raised by bees.  Years later he was
discovered by a woodcutter and successfully reintroduced to society.  He
became quite a hit on the talk show circuit but his fame was short-lived
because he had a tendency to drone on.

Buzzz,
Steve Clark
Vassar College